Roswell Morning Dispatch
Flying Disk Transforms Sheriff's
Office To International Newsroom

     Reports of the finding of an alleged "Flying Saucer" approximately 90 miles northwest of here transformed the Chaves county sheriff's office into a full-fledged room of excitement yesterday afternoon as various news agencies from all over the world inquired as to the mysterious object.
    George Wilcox, sheriff, was chained through his desk telephone to newspapers, radio networks, and top officials on an international scope as the long distance wires buzzed with continuous requests for his office.

    The furor started Monday when W. W. Brazel, a rancher living on the old Foster place, 25 miles southeast of Corona, New Mexico, came in the office and reported finding an object which fitted the descriptions of the flying discs. Deputy Sheriff B. A. Clark, who handled the report, immediately notified Sheriff Wilcox, who in turn turned his information over to Army authorities at RAAF.
    According to Mr. Brazel, the object had the shape of a box kite.  It was broken in two.  The size of the alleged disc was, contrary to previous descriptions, rectangular, and measured approximately three feet by four feet.
    Major Jesse A. Marcel of the 509th Bomb Group Intelligence and an Army crew immediately went to the ranch and picked up the object.  No member of the local sheriff's office saw the article at any time. Army sources did not divulge any description either of the outside or internal appearance of the disc.

    Following the news release of the report, Sheriff Wilcox was the object of a storm of inquiries from papers in San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles, New York, New Orleans, Baltimore, St. Louis, Denver, Albuquerque, Milwaukee, Santa Fe, Chicago, Washington, and Mexico City.  The longest call came from London, England where the London Daily Mail and other newspapers desired information.
    The major radio networks, including N.B.C., C.B.S., Trans Radio, plus the Associated and United Press and International News Service also contacted Wilcox.  Others in the cavalcade were Paramount News and International News Photo.
    The stream of calls continued to such an extent that the placing of outgoing messages was almost impossible.  If by chance the phone ceased ringing for time enough to pick it up, the operator would immediately ask whether or not it was the sheriff's office, and then state that there was another long distance call coming through.
    The London operator, with the very pronounced "H's" and the "rather" presented a translation problem to the sheriff, and the strong contrast between the Western drawl and the English twang was both interesting and amusing.
    In response to various queries, Sheriff Wilcox could only state the location of the spot where the object was found and the name of the person finding it.  Any descriptions other than its reported size were not available.


(Picture Caption)

    Sheriff George Wilcox is shown above seated at his official post while relating the story of the rumored "Flying Disc" discovery to the London Daily Mail.  The phone in the picture was the transmitting instrument for talks with the continental U.S., England, and Mexico.

Other Morning Dispatch item on Wilcox:

    The London, England Daily Mail called Sheriff George Wilcox, yesterday regarding the flying disc.  Woodrow Rodden, Roswell photographer, has an excellent picture which he took of Sheriff Wilcox while talking to England.

Roswell Daily Record
Sheriff Wilcox Takes Leading Role in Excitement Over Report 'Saucer' Found

    That worried look on the face of Sheriff Wilcox, in the picture above, comes from having been cast, more suddenly than he liked, into the role of leading man in the world comedy which developed over the purported finding of a flying saucer at the Foster ranch, in the Corona community, northwest of Roswell.
    Wilcox is shown here talking to a high English official, who told him "we are just as much interested in your disks as you are," and attempted to secure more information from the officer than had been revealed through Associated Press services a couple of hours earlier.
    Included in the dozens of calls which came to him from all over the United States and Mexico, were three from England.  One was the interview by the official, while the other two were from London newspapers, excitement over the flying saucers having spread to that country as well as all over the United States.
    Reports of the Roswell saucer was first made to Wilcox by W. W. Brazel, who lives on the Foster ranch where remnants of the so-called saucer was found.

Roswell Morning Dispatch & Daily Record
July 9, 1947,
Sheriff Wilcox stories, front page

Just who were the "top officials on an international scope" and why were they so interested?  Unfortunately we never find out, because the paper never follows up on this provocative statement.  The Roswell Daily Record Wilcox story mentions a high official of the British government calling Wilcox, but likewise doesn't name him.

Wilcox couldn't make up his mind.  He told UP early on that Brazel came in "the day before yesterday," or Sunday.  But to AP he was saying Monday, and that is apparently the story here.

Wilcox told UP that Brazel thought he had found a "weather meter."  But Brazel said he told the sheriff he though he found a flying disc.

Whether this comes from Brazel's interview or Wilcox is unclear.  Wilcox often used the 3 by 4 foot description, but the alleged radar target was hexagonal, not rectangular in shape.

The Roswell Daily Record said Marcel went out with a "detail."  To UP, Wilcox mentioned one other person with Marcel and UP reported intelligence officers going out.  Marcel said he went with the head of the CIC at Roswell (Cavitt) and Brazel said Marcel was accompanied by a "man in plain clothes."  Wilcox denied to UP that Brazel brought anything to see, but the Sheriff's family later claimed Brazel did arrive with debris samples, later confiscated by the base.

The following two paragraphs give a good idea of the storm of press interest in the story.  I have checked major papers in nearly all these cities.  With the exception of the Albuquerque Journal, none seem to quote Wilcox or add any additional insight into what story he was putting out.

Unfortunately, most of what was reported on the radio has been lost.

In one AP story with a Roswell dateline, Wilcox stated the reason he couldn't say more was because he was working with the base.

Or perhaps the "worried look," according to family members, was Wilcox having been threatened by the military and afraid of saying the wrong thing.  Family members also said it left him deeply traumatized.  He was never the same afterwards.

This was apparently one of the high international officials mentioned in the Morning Dispatch article above.  The name isn't given here either.

This is covered in more detail in the Morning Dispatch article.